The Saucon Valley School Board is made up of nine Citizens elected to terms of four years each. Voting takes place at the regular Spring Primaries and November General Elections in odd number years. When vacancies occur unexpectedly, the school board may appoint a replacement to serve until the next general election. The district solicitor, secretary and treasurer are appointed by the Board. School Board members are volunteers and therefore are not paid for their services.
As with other legislative bodies (the Congress, the General Assembly, city councils, borough councils, etc.) there are no special qualifications required to be a school director. School directors are not expected to be, nor intended to be, educational specialists. Candidates for the position of school director must be eligible voters who are at least 18 years of age. They must also be a resident of their community at least one year prior to election or appointment.
- Providing a free public education for all school-age children within the District
- Exercising leadership and drafting policies for the operation of local schools
- Authorizing curriculum development and revision as recommended by the Superintendent
- Determining educational standards and goals
- Authorizing the employment of teachers and other staff members upon the recommendation of the Superintendent
- Adopting an annual budget and approving expenditures
- Levying Taxes
- Fixing the length of the school term
Although individual Board members are available to listen to concerns, most often the teacher or administrator closest to the situation is the best person to address issues. The District has established the following procedures for the public to follow when looking for answers to concerns.
If a problem or question concerns your child or your child's teacher, first contact the teacher. Next, contact their school principal or assistant principal.
If your concerns deal with a specific function of the District, then call the District Office at 610-838-7001 and ask for the specific department (Transportation, Chapter I, Special Education, Curriculum, etc.).
When all contacts fail to give you the satisfactory answer, contact the Superintendent at 610-838-7001 or a School Board member.
No person should orally initiate personal charges or complaints against individual employees at a public meeting of the Board. Any charges, complaints or challenges should be presented to the Superintendent or Superintendent's Secretary or Board's Secretary in writing and signed by the complainant. Generally, any charges presented to the board at an open meeting will be referred to the Superintendent for investigation.
- The Board of School Directors of the Saucon Valley School District will meet at 7 pm in the High School Audion at 2097 Polk Valley Road, Hellertown. All meetings will be held for the purpose of conducting business on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month, except when noted.
- Tuesday, January 10, 2023
- Tuesday, January 24, 2023
- Tuesday, February 14, 2023
- Tuesday, February 28, 2023
- Tuesday, March 14, 2023
- Tuesday, March 28, 2023
- Tuesday, April 11, 2023
- Tuesday, April 25, 2023
- Tuesday, May 9, 2023
- Tuesday, May 23, 2023
- Tuesday, June 13, 2023
- Tuesday, June 27, 2023
- Tuesday, July 13, 2023
- Tuesday, July 25, 2023
- Tuesday, August 8, 2023
- Tuesday, August 23, 2023
- Tuesday, September 12, 2023
- Tuesday, September 26, 2023
- Tuesday, October 10, 2023
- Tuesday, October 24, 2023
- Monday, November 14, 2023
- Tuesday, November 28, 2023
- Tuesday, December 5, 2023 – Reorganization Meeting/Business Meeting (1st Tuesday)
- Tuesday, December 19, 2023 (3rd Tuesday)
Facility Committee Meetings are on the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 5:00 PM in the District Office Conference Room at 2097 Polk Valley Road, Hellertown.
The Finance Committee Meetings are on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at 5:00 PM in the District Office Conference Room at 2097 Polk Valley Road, Hellertown.
The Academic and Personnel Committee meeting is held on the 1st Wednesday of the month beginning at 5:00 PM in the District Office Conference Room at 2097 Polk Valley Road, Hellertown.
The March 1, 2023 meeting has been canceled.