If an excuse is not returned within three (3) days, a letter will be sent to the parents/guardians informing them that the absence will be recorded as UNEXCUSED. Three (3) unexcused absences may result in a citation for truancy.
A maximum of ten (10) days of cumulative lawful absences verified by parental notification shall be permitted during the school year. All absences beyond ten (10) cumulative days shall require an excuse from a licensed physician. Parents may also bring the child to see the school nurse if a doctor’s visit is unfeasible. The nurse will determine if the absence can be excused for that day.
If absences continue without a doctor’s excuse, the absences will be marked unexcused and the district procedure for unexcused absences will be followed. After 3 unexcused absences, a student may be referred to a Truancy Intervention Specialist from Northampton County to facilitate a meet with the district magistrate and school personnel. At the 4th unexcused absences a citation is typically filed.
Students who arrive late to school (AFTER 8:50 AM) will be marked tardy. Interruptions detract from the educational program for all students, and parents will be notified if lateness occurs frequently. Disciplinary measures, such as loss of recess and/or after-school detention will be imposed following repeated incidents.
- If a student accumulates 7 tardies, parents will receive a letter of concern.
- If a student accumulates 10 tardies, the student will receive an after school detention. Incidents of tardiness are cumulative throughout the year. Missed time may culminate in unexcused absences causing a citation.
Parents wishing to have their child excused during the school hours for a medical or dental appointment should send a note to the classroom teacher stating the time and reason for dismissal. The student must be signed out at the Attendance Office. Children will only be released to the custody of their parents or the child’s designated caretaker.
Family Trips: Saucon Valley School District Board Policy #204.1 30
The SV School Board believes that students must be in regular attendance in order to benefit fully from the educational programs and services offered by the district. In accordance with School Board Policy, family trips for educational purposes and educational tours are considered excused absences.
Please note however that according to state law, family vacations cannot be classified as legal absences, therefore they will be reflected as days absent from school for your child even if classified as excused. Parents may be served a “Legal Notice of Absences" if the absence from school is for three (3) or more days
Absences from school for family trips will be considered unexcused, unless the trip can be judged educational in nature by the building principal.
We respectfully request that trips be avoided during the scheduled state testing dates. Testing dates appear on the school calendar, please use as a reference if planning a vacation. (See District Calendar)
A Request for Approved Absence Form can be secured from the Attendance Office, District Office or website.
Parents who plan to take their children on an educational trip while school is in session may request an excused absence for the student if the following conditions are met:
1. The student’s parents/guardians submit to the office a written request for the excusal on a district form at least (5) school days prior to the trip.
2. The student’s participation on the trip/tour has been approved by the school administration.
3. The student or parent presents to each of the student’s teachers a written request for assignments expected to be completed during the period of the student absence at least three (3) school days prior to the first day of student absence.
4. The parent accepts total responsibility for the education of the student during the period of absence. The parent recognizes that classroom experiences cannot be duplicated and the absence could place that student at an academic disadvantage. Such responsibility includes, but is not limited to, monitoring the completion of all assignments and their submission to the teachers on the first day the student returns to school.
Request for Homework:
If you would like to request homework for the day(s) your child is absent please call the Attendance Office or the teacher’s voice mail before 9:00 AM to arrange for homework assignments. These assignments will be placed on the table in the lobby for pick-up after dismissal. After 9:00 AM, homework will be available the next school day. If your child’s absence is expected to be for an extended period of time, please call the teacher’s voice mail to arrange for homework assignments. A student may not participate in any school sponsored after-school activity for any day of absence unless previous arrangements are made with the principal.